Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ideas for Greening the Cure

I've been thinking about ways to keep my Cure green. I've come up with some ideas, but would love to hear some other suggestions.

Reducing Waste
  • Donating/Selling the contents of my Outbox.
    • Craigslist.
    • Freecycle.
    • I just learned that my local animal shelter will take my old ratty towels.
  • Recycling items that nobody will want.
Lightening my Demand for New Resources
  • Buying used.
  • Buying products made of recycled materials.
  • Really asking myself whether I need something before bringing it into my home.
Indoor Air Quality/Toxins
  • Not allowing toxic items into my home.
  • I recently bought a new mattress and did a lot of research to make sure that I was getting one that wouldn't release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's). (I settled on a natural latex mattress.)
  • I'm currently trying to find a rug pad that won't off-gas toxic fumes.
Supporting Local Economies
  • I'll be cooking my homemade meals for during the cure with produce from a local farm (I joined the CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, this year.)

1 comment:

scb said...

Great ideas. Community Supported Agriculture sounds like an excellent thing. We have a Farmer's Market here twice a week -- I really need to push myself to go over and get some fresh veggies (now that the mosquitoes are pretty much done for by the chilly weather)...

Thanks for this list.