Here's a project that my boyfriend helped me complete this weekend. It was a simple project that began when I got a great deal on some nice solid brass doorknobs (thanks Tuesday Morning!). But turns out that it wasn't as simple as I would have liked.
The photo on the left shows my old doorknob, deadbolt, and chain. I never liked any of them. The new doorknob and chain were easy to install, but turns out that the door under the deadbolt and the plaque surrounding the doorknob was in very bad condition. It took a lot of work to make everything look good. In the middle photo, you can see the door in progress, with wood putty filling in the damaged part of the door. On the right, you can see the door after I finished repainting just this afternoon.
I changed all of the other doorknobs in my apartment to match. Here's one more example, first the old ugly doorknob, then the nice new one: